From the Editor

Letter from the editor in chief

Here we are at last: the end of another school year. But for some students, it’s more than that; it’s the end of an era. I’m graduating, and this marks the end of my education and the start of my life as a postgraduate citizen.

I can say with confidence that nothing has had a greater impact on my college education than my decision to step into The Daily Cougar’s newsroom and fill out an application. Getting involved on campus has done more than just devour my free time; it’s given me a chance to be a part of something I feel matters, something beyond the endless classwork, papers and exams.

The Cougar has ravenously consumed my time at UH, but it’s also made my time mean something. It’s given me a sense of ownership over the campus and a sense of responsibility toward my readers.

In a week, I’ll be handing my office and title off to Channler K. Hill, who I’m sure will be a fantastic editor. I’ve got the run of the paper for one more night of production, and I’d like to use it to offer this last piece of advice to those of you returning for another school year. It’s advice you’ve probably heard before, but maybe you need to hear it again.

Get involved.

It doesn’t have to be as an editor. It doesn’t have to be at the Cougar — although I’d recommend it. Just find a group doing something you’re passionate about, and give yourself a chance to be a part of something bigger. You won’t regret it.

— Joshua Mann, Editor in chief