From the Editor

Letter from the Life and Arts editor

Coming into my first semester as Life and Arts editor, I was intimidated. I was afraid that I would not be good enough, but I had a vision of what I wanted the section to be like. My first goal was to make sure that the art schools on campus got the coverage they deserve.

From the Blaffer Art Museum, to Moores School of Music and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, this semester has seen an unprecedented amount of coverage of the campus arts. Writers have been there to see the plays, operas, dance productions and special exhibitions to make sure the readers have an in-depth analysis of all the happenings. Countless interviews were also conducted so you would know who’s who in each department.

Another thing I wanted to work on was lifestyle pieces. The type of pieces that you still look at after reading them a few times. These deal with anything from tips for a healthier lifestyle, fashion, relationships, recipes and family.

This semester brought stories that directly affect students regardless of major, ethnicity or religion. Some of these included five tips to get your body “summer” ready, plenty of college-budget friendly recipes, fashion profiles, the importance of blogging and highlights of clubs on campus.

Also one thing I felt was needed were pictures of student life because they celebrate the student body and show appreciation visually. This term there were feature photos of students sun bathing at the fountains, studying at their favorite spot, climbing the rock wall at the Campus Wellness and Recreation Center and much more.

Besides celebrating the arts and student life, I also wanted to focus on other campus events that relate to students like guest lecturers, festivals and concerts. This includes the Women’s Resource Center, Gender Talk and events held by Counseling and Psychological Services and the Rec Center.

There were also off-campus online exclusives dealing with concerts, interviews with members of your favorite bands and a recap of South by Southwest, the hottest music festival in Texas.

As finals draw near, remember that The Daily Cougar is the perfect late night companion. You can find us online at www.thedailycougar.com to catch up on the latest campus news and entertainment.

I hope that you have found the stories in this section pleasing, exciting, entertaining and informative. It has been a pleasure working as the Life and Arts editor.

Good luck, and don’t forget to get some daily.

— Paulina Rojas, Life and Arts editor