Campus

Commencements to cause congestion

As commencement ceremonies go underway this weekend, Hofheinz Pavilion will be packed with people – but so will the streets surrounding the University.

UHPD said they expect delays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday and are urging students to take alternate routes if they are traveling to campus on those days.

Significant traffic delays will be expected on Cullen Boulevard, Elgin Street and Scott Street, the University of Houston Department of Public Safety said in a campus-wide email. Holman Street will be blocked off for vehicle through-traffic to accommodate pedestrians walking to Hofheinz Pavilion.

Due to the large amount of visitors on campus, lots 12, 15 and 16 and the Stadium Parking Garage will be impacted, said the Department of Public Safety. They ask the University community to use the lots on Wheeler and Calhoun to minimize delays.

The Department said those who regularly park near Hofheinz Pavilion may wish to adjust their travel times to compensate for potential delays and consider alternative parking areas.

In addition, parking for visitors attending the ceremonies will be limited due to the various campus construction projects.

The University tells visitors they should expect to walk across campus to their commencement venues and should wear clothing and footwear suitable for walking.

For more information on commencement parking, please visit http://www.uh.edu/commencement/commencement-parking/index.php.