Food

Beat the heat with nutritional summer treats

Summer activities in Houston’s scorching heat leave UH students in need of a refreshing treat as restaurants try to lure them in, but students should consider creating healthier homemade desserts before embarking on their frozen fast-food paradise.

With a handful of key ingredients, you can create a nutritious banana split yogurt sandwich and a strawberry banana smoothie, each having less than 100 calories, as a tasteful summer delight.

Business management freshman Lexi Edwards described one of her delectable desserts.

“One of my favorite treats to enjoy during the summer is the brownie blizzard from Dairy Queen because I love chocolate,” Edwards said.

Edwards said that the banana split yogurt sandwiches are a healthful option.

“These sandwiches are a great alternative to fast food desserts,” she said. “They’re really creamy and delicious. I don’t even feel like I’m having a low calorie treat.”

Human resources and development junior Hilary Daniels considered the strawberry banana smoothie as a reasonable alternative to her preferred summer treat.

“The peach milkshake from Chick-fil-A is amazing, but it’s only available for a short period of time,” Daniels said. “This smoothie is really delicious and works as an awesome substitute when my milkshake goes out of season.”

Banana split yogurt sandwiches

Makes 9 servings
Serving size: 1 square
Calories per serving: about 55 calories

Ingredients:

• 9 whole graham crackers
  • ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries (thawed)
  • ½ banana
  • 1 cup vanilla non-fat greek yogurt
  • 1 cup thawed fat-free whipped topping
  • ½ regular-sized milk chocolate bar (1.55 ounce)
  • Splash of milk (about 2 tablespoons)

Instructions:

Begin by lining a 21 x 21 centimeter square pan with foil.

Break graham crackers into halves, or 18 squares, and arrange a single layer of graham cracker squares on the bottom of the pan.

Place the fruit in blender and pulse for 2-3 seconds. Chunkiness in the fruit is desired.

Combine the yogurt, whipped topping and fruit into a bowl, and stir until the distribution is even.

Scoop the mixture onto the graham crackers in the pan.

Microwave the milk chocolate and splash of milk in a microwave-safe cup or bowl. Stir well.

Drip the melted chocolate over the yogurt mixture.

Place remaining graham crackers onto the yogurt blend and chocolate drizzle in the same direction as the bottom layer.

Place the uncovered pan into the freezer for approximately 4-5 hours.

Remove pan from the freezer and cut in-between graham crackers to create sandwich-like squares, and enjoy.

Strawberry banana smoothie

Makes 3 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories per serving: about 76 calories

Ingredients:

• 1 cup nonfat milk
  • ½ fresh banana
  • ½ cup fresh/frozen strawberries
  • ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
  • Ice
  • 1 scoop Whey protein (optional)

Instructions:

Combine the nonfat milk, banana, nonfat Greek yogurt and strawberries into the blender. Blend until smooth.

Add the ice into the mixture and pulse until desired consistency is achieved.

Pour and enjoy.