Golf

No. 5 seed Cougars prepare for NCAA regional

The Cougars shot a 7-under-par 857 to claim first place at the Conference USA golf championships in Texarkana Ark. It is the first time UH has won since 2001. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

After being chosen as a no. 5 seed, UH heads to Baton Rouge to compete in the NCAA Regionals on May 16, where the Cougars will compete against the top two teams in the country, Alabama and Florida, respectively.

“It’s a different kind of golf,” said junior Curtis Reed. “This is like the basketball or football playoffs to us. There’s a lot at stake, and we’ll be required to perform at a higher level.”

This is the first time that the Cougars will compete in the NCAA Regionals since 2001. The team’s recent successes  including a victory at the Conference USA Championship in April — have motivated them to continue making progress. Men’s associate head coach, Chris Hill, said that after taking some time off for final exams, the guys were ready to get back on the green.

“This is an opportunity for us to show some college golf,” said Hill. “We’ve been playing a lot of golf and having fun during practice. This is just another round.”

Junior Wesley McClain, said that he’s taken some time to analyze areas that he needs to improve on, and is looking forward to making those changes while in Baton Rouge.

“After Conference USA, I sat down and figured out what I did and didn’t do well,” McClain said. “I putted really well, I just didn’t make very many. What I need to do is make more putts.”

The tournament kicks off on May 16, with 18 holes scheduled each day through May 18.

“We have a strong Regional with a lot of Southeastern Conference teams there,” said head coach, Jonathan Dismuke in a press release. “We are going to have to show up and play good golf if we want to advance.”