The American announces kickoff times for football schedule

The American Athletic Conference announced kickoff times for four UH games including its 2013 season opener against Southern, which will air on ESPN3.com at 7:30 p.m.

The Cougars will face Temple on the road the following week for their conference opener — the game will be aired on ESPN Regional at 11 a.m.

In their fifth game of the season, the Cougars will face Memphis at 11 a.m. on Oct. 12 and then take on USF on Oct. 31 at 6 p.m, which will be broadcasted on ESPN.

Basketball recruiting

The Cougars added a point guard and a forward to their 2013 recruiting class last week.

Ahmed Hamdy signed a financial aid agreement and will be a freshman in 2013-14 season after competing at Trent Internationale in Sugar Land. The 6’9”, 255 pound Hamdy will provide another big body in the paint.

“We are very happy to welcome Ahmed into our program,” said head coach James Dickey. “He is a tough, interior player and an excellent rebounder. With his physical gifts, Ahmed will provide depth in our frontcourt.”

As a senior, Hamdy averaged 18.7 points and 13.6 rebounds per game.

Also joining the 2013 class is L.J. Rose, a Baylor transfer.

The University is working on a hardship waiver that would allow Rose to play immediately because his mother is suffering from lupus.

“I feel the need to be closer to home, closer to family and not worrying about them traveling,” Rose told the Houston Chronicle.

Rose’s dad Lynden, played for the UH’s most-famous fraternity Phi Slama Jama from 1980-82.

“We are really excited that L.J. is joining our program,” Dickey said. “He is a skilled guard who passes the ball extremely well and is a very unselfish player with great leadership qualities. L.J. has great familiarity with our program and our players. We look forward to having him as a part of our team.”

Rose graduated from Westbury High School, where he was a four-star recruit with offers from Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and Georgetown.

sports@thedailycougar.com