UH adds former Wheatley standout to 2013 football class

A former Wheatley high school cornerback will join the Cougars’ 2013 recruiting class after transferring from Trinity Valley Community College, Tony Levine announced on Wednesday.

William Jackson, a 6-foot-1 cornerback, will have three years of eligibility remaining when he joins the team this fall. The 175 pound defensive back runs the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds.

At Wheatley, Jackson played both sides of the ball and was a two-time All-District 22-4A selection on offense and defense.

Nantz awarded

UH alumnus Jim Nantz received the Court of Honor award from the National Association of Basketball Coaches Foundation on June 27.

Nantz, a five-time National Sportscaster of the Year, has covered 28 consecutive NCAA Final Fours. He is the lead play-by-play voice for the NFL on CBS and also anchors the network’s golf coverage.

“As the voice of NCAA men’s college basketball for almost three decades, Jim Nantz has contributed significantly to the tremendous growth we have experienced in our game,” said Duke University coach Mike Krzyzewski, president of the NABC Foundation.

“Jim’s elegant style fits perfectly with the excitement of the games. It’s difficult to imagine anyone else calling the play-by-play for the Final Four.”