Men's Basketball

UH responds to charges made by Young in lawsuit

On Wednesday, UH addressed specific charges made by former basketball Director of Operations Michael Young in a lawsuit and clarified the timeline of events.

Young claimed that the University broke NCAA rules when it transitioned his job from his role as director of operations to a community service position. He said UH asked him to “engage in the illegal act of accepting money without performing a service and to violate NCAA rules,” in the lawsuit. Read more about Young’s lawsuit here

In a statement UH said it did not violate any NCAA rules.

“At no time was Young informed that he should or could sit at home, not perform work and accept a paycheck from the University, nor was Young ever told his employment was contingent on his son playing basketball for the University. Young’s arrangement in his new community relations role was reviewed by the Athletic Department’s compliance office, as well as the Office of the General Counsel, to ensure it was in compliance with applicable laws and NCAA bylaws. The University has been transparent, and its actions have been appropriate.”

UH said Young did not fulfill the terms of his contract.

“With Young’s multiple years of service to the University, both as a player and a coach, the University wanted to take advantage of his skill set and allow him the opportunity to explore other options while still employed.  The University offered the new contract to Young containing the community relations duties, and he signed the contract on May 30, 2013.  The University has continued its obligations under this new contract and has tried to assign him duties, only to be rebuffed by Young’s attorney. However, because Young, through his attorney, refused to perform any duties under the new contract, the University was compelled to provide notice to Young on June 17, 2013, that it was exercising its right under the contract to terminate the contract on 30 days’ notice. The University will continue its contractual obligations to pay Young through July 17, 2013.”