Events

New Texas theme park sparks buzz

Grand Texas Theme Park

The new 640-acre theme park, the Grand Texas Theme Park, in northeast Houston is under development as students’ excitement increases. The park will include a water park, hotel resorts, petting zoos and more. | Courtesy of Grand Texas Theme Park Facebook page

Houstonians are anxious for the area’s newest amusement park, the Grand Texas Theme Park. The park will be sprawled across 640 acres of land in New Caney, which is northeast of Houston, and is estimated to complete in 2015.

One of the project’s investors, Chuck Hendrix, the CEO of Innovative Leisure Partners and a former general manager of AstroWorld, has been working with other investors for two years. The park will be in New Caney, off Highway 59 and FM 242, and will include restaurants, an RV resort and a water park. Other options are being discussed.

“It’s good for the city of Houston,” said accounting alumnus Hasheem Qureshi. “Any improvement in H-Town is a win for UH. If it brings value to the city while providing entertainment for hard working Houstonians, then why not go through with it? I hope they continue to develop more projects like this; we can always use more fun.”

Houston’s last theme park, AstroWorld, closed down in 2005 due to expense and parking issues, yet many students continue to hold fond memories.

“AstroWorld was amazing with so many roller coasters and rides nearby,” said communications junior Monir Yari. “As I get older, I realize how I took it for granted. I would love for something like that to be around now. I’m not sure if this new theme park will be anything like AstroWorld, but I’m sure it’ll be worth checking out. A lot of us still wish AstroWorld was around, and I think students here will welcome an idea like this.”

Although the new theme park development has been met with an overall positive reaction, several students fear the construction will add to the already hectic Houston traffic, especially for weary commuter students.

Chemistry senior Kyle Miller refutes these claims and is enthused for the project.

“There will be more construction; there will always be more construction,” said Miller. “It’s good for the economy; it gets people working, spending and contributing to our country’s growth. I think it’s a great idea not only business-wise but also for us entertainment-hungry youth. We love working hard and playing hard.”