Calhoun Lofts begins restoration after fire

UH has been a bustling construction zone all summer preparing to open two new residential housing facilities in the fall. However, the University has taken on a new, unexpected project in Calhoun Lofts after a small fire burned one room and drenched 26 more on Tuesday evening.

A total of 27 rooms in Calhoun Lofts sustained damages after a fire on Tuesday evening. The repairs are expected to be completed Aug. 6. | Stefani Crowe/The Daily Cougar

The fire, which was contained in one room on the third floor, was put out by the Houston Fire Department, and no one was injured. Slowly, residents were allowed back into the building, but tenants on the first through third floors — where the sprinklers were activated — were last to re-enter their homes.

“The majority of the damages are on the third floor where the fire occurred,” said Melissa Rockwell-Hopkins, executive director of Facilities Management.

“Remediation is ongoing and will take five days. Following remediation, a rebuild of the damaged areas will occur. All repairs are estimated to be completed by August 6.”

Thirteen residents were temporarily relocated to other rooms within Calhoun Lofts due to the fire and the water damage, said Don Yackley, executive director for Student Housing and Residential Life.

“It is unfortunate that this situation occurred, but we are thankful that no one was hurt and grateful for the response from the facilities staff and the emergency responders,” Yackley said.

“Everyone is doing everything they can to move quickly with the repairs.”