Proposed UC name change shows thanks to students

Callie Parrish// The Daily Cougar

Callie Parrish// The Daily Cougar

The construction in the UH Circle Drive is certainly making the news, but new focus is being placed on what the end result will be named.

The New UC’s name might be changed from the University Center to the Student Center as a reflection of appreciation for student support and contribution, said Student Government Association president Cedric Bandoh.

“This project cost $80 million and 95 percent of the cost came from student fees,” Bandoh said. “The changing of the name should reflect the investment that students have made.”

Changing the name to the Student Center emphasizes that UH is becoming a more student-oriented university and reflects students’ hopes for the future.

Yet some students don’t think the name of the facility matters.

“I don’t care what it’s called as long as it’s a marked improvement over what it was, which I think is something we can all count on,” said music education senior Austin Dean.

According to the New UC website, students can count on seeing an improved lounge space and better retail and dining options for students, all  designed to give students the best college experience possible — and all paid for by the students.

In comparison to the old UC, which was built in the 1960s, the new architecture looks like it will have a more modern appearance, according to the designs.  The New UC will be an anchor for the student community and serve as a central hub for student services, such as the Center for Student Media.

According to the New UC website, the name will remain as the University Center until early t0 mid-January.

The new name would certainly be appropriate. Changing the name of the building is essentially saying that it is under new management. Students voted for a new University Center, and students paid for nearly all of it.

Students are taking ownership of their college experience and making it into something they want. The name would be a reflection of this truth.

“I think that it does give an appropriate nod to the student body, and might give students a stronger sense of ownership and responsibility,” Dean said.

The University is essentially handing us the keys to our own success, and we the students are ready to take them. 

“Students have been a key role to recognize the changing of the name from the University Center to the Student Center,” Bandoh said. “The focus on students has increased tremendously. The University is becoming more and more student-oriented.”

This change is not an executive decision made by faceless board members; the students chose this.

The name reflects that this is a center for the student community, and the Student Center has more than a clever ring to it. It shows the reality of the college experience: The investments you make are going to pay off for you. It is a gesture of faith from the University to the students that we are responsible enough to take charge of who and what we are.

The Student Center will be a symbol for the new direction the University is taking. The students paid for it, and like our own future, it belongs to us.

Opinion columnist Callie Parrish is a math and art senior and may be reached at [email protected].

• Wait, seriously? What’s the matter, “Generic Generic” was already trademarked? Maybe the insistence on caulk-and-sealing the Good Ship UH from any character leaking in is the reason that no character leaks in.

• Yuck. Sorry, but I find the name change unnecessary and a bit ridiculous, and I helped paid for the improvements too.

University Center sounds much more appropriate considering it literally (or practically is) at the center of the university campus. “University” seems more inclusive as it applies to everyone at the university (students/faculty/staff/visitors) while “Student” sounds like it’s exclusively for the benefit of the students. Some visitors may believe it’s just a place for student information and such, and not realize that the businesses and services there are for anyone.

Not to mention all the name changes that will have to be made on nearly everything. Signage across the UH campus, on the map, on documents, on websites (including each student org, office and business located there), on print, etc. That comes as a hidden cost in time and some amount of money to such an unneeded name change.

Plus name changes won’t reflect much unless students actually believe the university is student-oriented. That comes through the form of actions, not name changes…too bad this wasn’t placed to a vote for the student body.