UH great Case Keenum makes push for Texans’ QB job

Former UH quarterback Case Keenum is pushing to become the Houston Texans' backup quarterback.  |  File photo/The Daily Cougar

Former UH quarterback Case Keenum is pushing to become the Houston Texans’ backup quarterback. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Case Keenum, who became the most prolific passer in NCAA history at UH, is making Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak’s decision tougher.

Keenum is competing with quarterback T.J. Yates to back up starter Matt Schaub on the depth chart.

“It continues to be a very difficult decision. I think (Yates and Keenum are) both playing well. … We’re going to have three good (quarterbacks),” Kubiak said.

During Sunday’s 31-23 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Yates orchestrated two long drives. One ended in a touchdown, and the other was stymied on downs inside the Saints’ one-yard line. Yates was 7-9 while throwing for 73 yards.

The three-year veteran said the competition is pushing him to become a better player.

“When you know you’re in a quarterback competition, you know you’re being evaluated at all times, whether you’re in the game or at practice or you’re just doing drills. I know (the coaching staff) is taking a strong look at everything we do,” Yates said after the game.

Keenum had more passing yards than Yates but failed to reach the endzone for the first time this preseason. He passed for 79 yards, completing 10-14 attempts.

“I think we both got a lot better and progressed,” Keenum said. “I’ve gotten a lot better, and (if) you look at the film, there’s a lot of ways I can get better.”

Keenum, who left UH with 19,217 yards and 155 touchdowns, is expected to get the start on Thursday against the Dallas Cowboys, when many starters will sit out. Both will play about half of the game, Kubiak said.

Keenum, an Abilene native, will be closer to home when his team takes on the Cowboys.

“I’m excited about that — to be able to go play. Really, that’s the closest I’ll ever play to my hometown. That’s a really good opportunity for me, to go prepare as a starter and start the game. I know it’s a short week, but we’ll cram it in and get it going.”