Movies

Horror film scares movie-goers at UC

You're Next

Students lined the red carpet Friday evening for the premiere of the horror film, “You’re Next,” presented by the Student Program Board on Aug. 16. To encourage students to relax and participate, the SPB will be showing the next film, “Fast & Furious 6” at 7 p.m. on August 29. | Delilah Sampson/The Daily Cougar

The Student Program Board hosted a night full of horror, popcorn and the game “Ninja” on Aug. 16.

SPB, a student-run organization that hosts events and activities to get students involved with university life. They held a movie night featuring the horror film “You’re Next” in the University Center Houston Room. SPB board members passed out masks to complement the thrill of the movie.

“It was a good idea if you needed something to do on a Friday night,” said education sophomore Marcus Knowles.

Despite the intense rain and wind that ensued that evening, many students who live on campus were able to attend the screening and some said it was a convenient escape.

“We wanted to give students a free movie premiere with the ease of being on campus,” said pre-pharmacy sophomore Taylor Rouleau, cinema and novelty chair of SPB.

Because the UC is under reconstruction, many students were unaware that any portion of the building is still open.

“I think once the UC is finished with renovations, SPB will have an even larger turnout,” said graduate student Kristina Michel.

The movie night was only a preview of what to expect from SPB this semester, including welcome-back events in the first two weeks of class. The next few SPB events include comedian Erin Jackson, the Cat’s Back at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center and a showing of “Fast & Furious 6” at 7 p.m. on August 29.

“SPB is a great program. It’s easy for me to stay connected to other students,” Michel said. “I will definitely be attending future events, and I encourage others to do the same.”