Howard named to conference preseason team

Among the 10 returning players for the UH volleyball team, sophomore middle blocker Emily Howard has been named to the American Athletic Conference Volleyball Preseason team. She is one of two sophomores to be selected to the new conference’s inaugural team.

As a true freshman in 2012, Howard started 26 matches and hit more than .300 in 12 of them. Her 88 blocks were second best on the team, and she will return as the team’s best performer in blocks and kills. The Georgetown native capped her successful debut season by being named to the Conference USA All-Freshman team.

Tyler Rose Award eyes Greenberry

UH sophomore receiver Deontay Greenberry was named to the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List on Wednesday at the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce East Texas Kickoff Luncheon.

Greenberry led all UH returners with 47 receptions for 569 yards and three touchdowns in 2012 en route to his Conference USA All-Freshman Team honor. Greenberry’s 47 receptions and 569 receiving yards led the league’s freshmen.

The nominee must have been born in Texas, have graduated from a Texas high school or have played at a Texas-based junior or four-year college.

UH picked to finish eighth

The rankings for the volleyball squads of the American Athletic Conference: UH comes in at number eight, edging Rutgers and Memphis, with 26 points. Louisville was picked in the top spot with 79 total points. UH will host Louisville at the Athletics/Alumni Center on Oct. 6.

Unlike the previous C-USA season, there will be no postseason tournament to decide the entrant into the NCAA Championship. Instead, the conference leader will advance further into the NCAA postseason field.