Fashion

Fall female fashion fancies prints, emeralds

The start of the semester means new classes, faces, and maybe love interest. Regardless of the circumstances, you always want to look your best.

Be daring and take risks with your fall wardrobe. Take these fall trends and put your own twist on them. Follow the latest fashion styles in stores such as ASOS, NastyGal and Forever 21 that gear toward a more college-friendly budget.

Emerald

Celebrities including Julianne Moore, Debra Messing and Marcia Cross rock emerald in their wardrobes, but redheads aren’t the only ones rejoicing for the color. This shade of green complements a wide variety of hair colors and skin complexions.

Plaid

Women's fashion

Bold shades and prints can enhance your winter outfits like the canary-yellow Old Navy peacoat and tribal-printed leggings. | Monica Tso/The Daily Cougar

Plaid is versatile with its horizontal and vertical lines. If you want to wear plaid pants, choose light colors like gray, blue or white for the business casual look. A plaid jacket can create a polished look for class, work or a night out. Wearing plaid ballet flats could retool the punk look into a prep look.

Outerwear

Although the weather cools down in mid-October, having a statement piece for outerwear is critical. The new chic shapes, colors and textures will bring your style to the next level with the perfect outerwear coat. When layering during the colder seasons, add a belt to your coat to give it a feminine touch. The easiest way to stand out in a sea of dark neutrals is by finding a bright coat in crimson, plum or emerald.

Winter white

Lighten up your wardrobe with white. Wearing white from head to toe can refresh your look from the everyday wardrobe colors. Layer up with various textures including lace, clean satin folds and comfy cottons. Whichever style you decide to wear, have fun with it like a blank canvas.

Prints

From a flirty floral or animal print to geometric shapes, a printed pant, blouse or headband is essential. Patterned pants are classroom- and office-appropriate, and they can be styled with solid-colored sheer blouses or a fitted button down to focus the attention on the standout style.

Women’s tuxedo

Menswear inspires designers every season to create formal tuxedos that are modified for women. The number of different ways to style a women’s tuxedo is endless. Embrace tailored looks that are well-fitted with slim-cut trousers and fitted blazers. Add some of your personality by wearing pops of color. If you decide to wear the classic black and white look, colorful accessories, shoes or a bright manicure can amp your look.