Events

Students feel warm welcome at Cat’s Back

CB 4 - feature - Emily S. Chambers

Thousands of students attended the Cat’s Back 2013 on Wednesday at the Campus Wellness and Recreational Center. With music provided by Coog Radio, other organizations raffled prizes and giveaways. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

The beginning of a new semester is often a mix of excitement and stress. From moving away from home to getting used to new schedules, adjusting can be difficult for many students. Luckily, Cougars were able to mix and mingle at one of the biggest on-campus events at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

During the past decade, The Cat’s Back has been established as one of the ultimate campus events. Hundreds of organizations provided games, prizes and giveaways for the estimated 5,000 attendees. Representatives from Amazon, the Astros, Dynamo and Rockets served as a reminder of UH’s widespread establishment across the city of Houston.

CB 3 - feature - Emily S. Chambers

Showing their spirit and pride during the pep rally, the UH Cheer fueled students’ excitement about the upcoming football season. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

Dan Maxwell, assistant vice president of Student Affairs, shared the event’s lasting impact for new and returning students.

“Cat’s Back is an event that kicks off the year for students,” Maxwell said. “When people come back for opening weekend, a lot of the time they’re exhausted, stressed from moving in, starting their classes and getting books. This is kind of that first social event after their classes have started that tells them it’s ok to be involved.”

Maxwell also noted that The Cat’s Back is also one of the most important recruiting opportunities that student organizations have.

“Cat’s Back is the perfect place to showcase your student organization. Students who don’t know exactly how to get involved can easily walk around and talk with student representatives,” said Maxwell. “It’s really about showcasing involvement.”

Judging from the overwhelming sea of red that enveloped anyone upon entry, the presence of school pride was definitely in acceptable excess.

Volunteers distributing discounts for GRE tutoring sessions merged seamlessly with representatives of the U.S. Armed Forces engaged in discussion with soon-to-be UH graduates, serving as a perfect representation of the higher callings University of Houston students strive to make a reality on a daily basis.

Bryant Hernandez, a media production junior and member of the Student Video Network, shared the vital platform this festival provides for student organizations that are dependent on seeking out new membership.

“When it comes to Cat’s Back, we’re pretty much here to share our club with as many students as possible,” Hernandez said. “We’re also here to get new members to talk to students and get them involved. We know getting involved helps your college career a lot.”

Serving as the most dynamic, entertaining representations of the student body, the event catered to students of all majors, demographic groups and classifications.

“The Cat’s Back showed me just howServing as the most dynamic, entertaining representations of the UH student body, the event catered to students of all majors, demographic groups and classifications.