Activities & Organizations

Students, executives talk business at career conference

C.T. Bauer College of Business and the National Society of Hispanic MBA held their fourth Career Management two-day conference on Wednesday, allowing students to work with professionals from ExxonMobil and other leading organizations on their résumés, interviewing skills and network building.

“My personal expectations were for our students to feel a sense of accomplishment after going through this two-day event,” said Oliver Blanco, MBA career development specialist for Bauer.

The first day of the conference was focused on job interview tips and maximizing a résumé.

Carlos Fernandez, president of NSHMBA, shared tips such as “put your accomplishments on your résumé; if not, your résumé sounds like a job description.”

NSHMBA also had Luis Grajales, the global financial reporting manager for ExxonMobil Gas and Power Marketing in Houston, as a guest speaker.

“It’s a very competitive environment today,” Grajales said, encouraging students to be ready for the business world. “We are here to invite you to take on the world.”

The second day of the conference allowed students the opportunity to engage in mock interviews and practice networking with business executives.

“It’s a great learning experience,” said Media Alsewaili, a recent Bauer graduate who attended the event both this year and last. “I’ve gotten to know high executives through a lot of networking.”

Through their combined efforts, NSHMBA and Bauer hope to create these learning opportunities for both students and graduates.

“Bringing networking opportunities to our students (allows them to) build their professional network, learn by participating in workshops, have professionals review resumes and conduct mock interviews with leading organization representatives, (which) will help them gain the confidence for their job search,” Blanco said.