State

Possible governor bid for Davis

According to the Huffington Post, Senator Wendy Davis said, "I can say with absolute certainty that I will run for one of two offices -- either my state senate seat, or the governor's."  Wikimedia Commons/ The Daily Cougar

According to the Huffington Post, Senator Wendy Davis said, “I can say with absolute certainty that I will run for one of two offices — either my state Senate seat, or the governor’s.” | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

For a state that’s had a red heart for years, Texas may soon begin to beat blue in 2014.

Sen. Wendy Davis may announce her candidacy for governor.

“I had hoped to make public my decision about that next week, but with everything that’s going on with my dad, I won’t be doing that,” Davis said to the Texas Tribune. “It’s likely it will be late September before I do.”

Her father, Jerry Russell, was in critical condition following an abdominal surgery and Davis wanted time off to be with him, she said to the Tribune.

UH political science professor Richard Murray said he is 90 to 95 percent confident Davis will run for governor in the following year.

“Experience in other American states show the one office a minority party has the best opportunity to win is the governor job. Many ‘red’ states like Oklahoma and Missouri elected Democratic governors in recent years, and ‘blue’ states like California and New Jersey have elected Republican chief executives,” Murray said in a blog post for Channel 13.

Davis has been a senator since 2009 and made her most recent headliner in June during her 11-hour filibuster against Senate Bill 5, which would have added abortion regulations in Texas. This year alone, she received the Champion for Social Change Award, the Women Who Dared Award and the Legislator of Excellence Award.

“I believe she will be the best-performing Democratic nominee in 20 years, and has an outside chance to pull off an upset in heavily Republican Texas,” Murray said.

• Heaven help us! The only thing she is known for is an 11 hour filibuster? How does that make her ready to be governor?

• I think about Wendy Davis every time I see a catheter commercial. That does not make me want to vote for her as governor of the Great State of Texas! I wonder if her campaign slogan will be “Hail Satan” which is what her pro late-term abortion protestors chanted in Austin. Texans despise Wendy Davis!!!