Health

Centers provide aid for students in need

Womens Resource Center

Serving as safe havens for students who need guidance and advice, the Women’s Resource Center and the LGBT Resource Center hope to provide adequate resources, and they promote the elimination of discrimination. | Fernando Castaldi/The Daily Cougar

The Women’s Resource Center and the LGBT Resource Center promised students, faculty and staff that it would continue to provide supportive services, awareness and a safe haven despite shake-ups from the construction of the New University Center.

The WRC’s program coordinator, Malkia Hutchinson, said she is proud to be involved in a program that is so hands-on with aiding students and uses her past experience in helping women to make a difference in students’ lives.

“Sometimes students get overwhelmed with school situations, and it’s important they have somewhere to go for help and advice,” Hutchinson said. “We have books, documentaries and movies to lend to students so they don’t feel alone in whatever it might be that they are going through.”

The WRC has “Gender Talks” every Wednesday that allow students of different backgrounds and ideologies to come together and discuss topics like gender issues, abortions and eating disorders.

History senior Lyndsie Harris said one of her favorite activities to do with the group is an event called “Tableing.”

“Every so often we set up a table and hand out information to students as they pass by to try and educate them on important issues,” Harris said. “It’s a great way to inform people about things not everyone knows about. Last year, we presented information on Cancer Awareness Month and also about female condoms.”

The LGBT Resource Center’s goal is to strengthen its community at UH and to eliminate attitudes of homophobia, heterosexism and gender-identity oppression.

Biology junior Allyson Gulihur has been involved with the center for two years and said she feels as if it is a home away from home.

“My sorority did an event last year called ‘Love Your Body Week.’ We had students write down what they love about their bodies, despite what society thinks women should look like,” Gulihur said. “The center provided us with books, resources and different photographers to help us with our event. They also helped us spread the word.”

The LGBT Resource Center has many events planned for this semester such as an alumni network reception; guest speakers like Faisal Alam, who will discuss struggles facing sexual and gender minorities within the Muslim world; and several Speaker’s Bureau training sessions.

The Speaker’s Bureau training sessions consist of a panel of LGBT students willing to speak about their lives to educate campus organizations.