Opinion Web Exclusive

Houston helps Houston students succeed on STAAR exams

Having experience is important when applying for a job after college, as companies always look closely at your work history.

Education junior Rebecca Houston has teamed up with the U.S. Forum to give education majors a chance to work with children by guiding them down the educational path. The organization was  founded in 2007 by a group of tutors whose mission was to mentor children in the Houston Independent School District and increase state-administrated test scores by 20 percent. After a short trial run, the organization has decided to give it another go with help from coordinator Kevin Simms.

The U.S. Forum goal is to mentor Houston students and increase their S.T.A.A.R. test scores by 20 percent. Activities include teaching boys and girls how to dress for jobs, build character and deal with everyday life.

Education majors have the opportunity to get paid to do what they love and gain an extensive amount of experience working with Houston children. Members may also gain networking opportunities by connecting with different principals in HISD.

The U.S. Forum offers students who are majoring in education a chance to network and meet others with the same passion as them. It may also be what UH needs to strengthen and expand the College of Education’s group organizations on campus.

“In the near future, I see this organization tutoring and mentoring students all over HISD,” Houston said. “I even see this organization incorporated in other universities as well.”

The organization is currently looking for 50 tutors who believe that education is the key to success in life.

Opinion columnist De’Andra Hurd is a communications junior and may be reached at [email protected]