New apartments on MacGregor set to give students quite a view

Courtesy of Grand Campus Living

Courtesy of Fountain Residential Partners

There are quite a few housing options at UH, but students are continuing to look off-campus for housing for a number of reasons. UH has been taking steps in improving the student housing options with the addition of Cougar Village II and Cougar Place and the new renovations to Bayou Oaks, but in fall 2014, there will be a new competing housing option that is going to be fighting for our attention.

The Vue Apartment complex is the upcoming alternative to UH’s on-campus student housing. The Vue is going to be located on 4460 S. MacGregor, down the street from Bayou Oaks. The difference between this complex and the housing options on campus is that this complex has no partnership with the University. Also, while they will be accepting applications from anyone, The Vue will be predominantly student housing.

The Vue Community Manager Mili Arguello is excited that Grand Campus Living has decided Houston will be the spot for their next project.

“I’ve seen a lot of the available housing that students have, and I think what The Vue brings is something totally different,” Arguello said. “It’s going to be a place where the focus is the comfort of the resident and really letting them have a good experience. Also, the amenities are outstanding.”

These amenities include a 50-inch flat-screen television in the common room of each suite, fully-furnished apartments and kitchens equipped with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. The apartments will also have wireless Internet and cable already installed.

“We need housing that really addresses what students are looking for nowadays. A lot of students, especially upperclassmen, are looking to be independent,” Arguello said. “It’s that next step before going out into the world. I think that that is what we deliver.”

The Vue is also accepting applications for leasing for on-site ambassadors.

“We get a lot of ambassadors that may be marketing majors, so we allow them to have the opportunity to develop those skills by heading up a marketing campaign or planning an event,” said Claire Murphy, the director of marketing at Grand Campus Living.

These ambassadors would begin work as soon as possible and will be required to live on-site starting in the fall. With this job, ambassadors will be working 16-20 hours a week to pay for their room stipend.

This is a good deal, since prices will be a little steep — at least for my budget.

The one bedroom, one bathroom efficiency suites will be $975 a month, while the one bedroom, one bathroom suites will range from $1,195 to $1,245. The two bedroom, two bathroom suites will range from $950 to $995 a month per person. The three bedroom, three bathroom suites will be $850 a month per person. The four bedroom, four bathroom suites will range from $775 to $805 a month per person. All of these are set prices that include utilities.

There are a limited number of shared bedroom suites that are $545 a month per person if you do not mind sharing your space with another person.

These rates are comparable to housing options on campus while offering a more modern and updated living option. Other bonuses of The Vue are the on-site pool, weight room and its pet friendliness.

Let’s not beat around the bush. UH is surrounded by the Third Ward, so safety is a big concern. Not to worry — The Vue will be a gated apartment complex. Unlike housing options on campus, The Vue will not be using Cougar Cards as means of entrance, but they will be using an electronic key system called FOB that will let students into the parking garage, the complex, their apartment suites and their individual bedroom as well.

Regional Manager of Grand Campus Living Josh Purkeypile recognizes that safety is a big concern, and assures that The Vue will be taking precautions to try to ensure that residents are safe, with courtesy officers who will patrol the site along with surveillance cameras in the complex and garage.

Unfortunately, their residents will have to pay for parking, but there are a limited number of visitor and open parking spaces.

“We will advise those students with cars to get parking in the garage with us or purchase parking on campus — it’s up to them,” Purkeypile said.

The Vue is now accepting leasing applications for Fall 2014 and students can receive more information by visiting their website at vuecollegeliving.com.

“We’re really excited about bringing Houston students a new standard in student living that they haven’t yet seen,” Purkeypile said.

If what has been said is any indication, The Vue will have no problem filling the complex.

Opinion columnist Kelly Schafler is a journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected]

• We’d like to see The Vue encourage their residents to try using METRO, bicycling, and carpooling. METRO would be a great option to get around the local area and it’s very cheap with a student discount as well. Based on the address, students can also take the UH campus shuttle on the Outer Loop from the Bayou Oaks Apartment complex.

Bicycling is a very convenient way to go around campus, great exercise, and there’s lot of free places to park your bike. If students feel the need to drive and park to campus, consider knowing your neighbors and carpool to make the most of your fuel. It’s very exciting to see new housing options for UH students and we wish them all the best.