Campus

UH helps students stay safe this hurricane season

Kelly Boysen, emergency management specialist at UH, said students should prepare early during storms that require evacuations. Courtesy Photo  |  The Daily Cougar

Kelly Boysen, emergency management specialist at UH, said students should prepare early during storms that require evacuations. Courtesy Photo | The Daily Cougar

Don’t fear the overcast. Student Housing and Residential Life and the Public Safety Department’s Emergency Management Bureau are prepared to keep students dry this hurricane season.

Emergency Management Specialist Kelly Boysen advises students to prepare for hurricane season by developing a plan for evacuation, building an emergency kit and staying informed.

Tropical storms can become severe, requiring classes to be cancelled or the campus to close in event of a hurricane.

Advertising junior Rubi Soto lives off-campus with her parents.

“I always evacuate as early as possible,” Soto said. “There is no need to try and tough it out. (My family) still boards up the house and we have supplies that we can use for at least two weeks. We have generators for backup as well.”

If one plans to stay with family or a friend, be sure to check the news and confirm that the new location is outside any hurricane evacuation zones.

Boysen says local media and the UH website are reliable sources for updates during a tropical storm. Students can also set up text notifications through the MyUH website or use a battery-powered radio to stay informed in case of a power outage.

For residents who are out-of-state or international students, the University has prepared a plan for them as well.

According to Mark Vitek, assistant director for Student Housing and Residential Life, the University has made arrangements with a local bus company and two Texas universities several miles inland in case residential students must evacuate.

“Once at the host university, residents will receive shelter and meals until it is safe for the return trip to the UH campus,” Vitek said.

UH and the host school will provide food and shelter, but it is advised that students bring plenty of toiletries and extra snacks or drinks.

Electricity, water and other necessities may be lost or limited during a storm. It’s important for students to have basic supplies ready. “Residents should plan accordingly, ensuring that they prepare for any special needs, such as having an ample supply of medication,” Vitek said.

Vitek said if the University must be evacuated, many residents prefer to stay with relatives or friends living in the greater Houston area.

“Whether residents shelter-in-place or are evacuated, it is helpful for residents to frame their preparation for hurricane season in terms of what they would need, if they visited family members or a friend.”

Student can visit the University’s emergency operation center website, uh.edu/emergency, under the FAQs and More Information tab for a 72-hour emergency kit checklist and further instructions on hurricane planning