Academics & Research

Wolff Center ranked among best in the nation once again

Bauer’s Wolff Center takes pride in its program that is said to change and adapt as much as entrepreneurship. For this reason, it takes  a top spot on The Princeton Review’s list of entrepreneurship programs for yet another year.  | Courtesy of uh.edu

The Cyvia and Melvyn Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship earned the its seventh consecutive top ranking for the program’s innovative approach to teaching and promotion of entrepreneurship throughout the city.

Recently, The Princeton Review ranked the Wolff Center at No. 2 on its list of the Top 25 Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Programs in the U.S. in Entrepreneur magazine.

The program received a No. 3 ranking in 2012 and ranked No. 1 in 2010 and 2011.

“The center’s continuing recognition, year after year, is a clear indication of its fundamental excellence,” said President Renu Khator in a press release. “Our students are acquiring the practical skills and academic background that prepare them to succeed in a highly competitive arena — and play a vital role in maintaining Houston’s robust economy.”

The director of mentoring programs, Dave Cook, said the mentors are what distinguished the Wolff Center from other programs being offered in the country.

“We have wonderful adjunct professors who have owned their own business. We also have the best program because we’re so closely aligned with the city of Houston,” Cook said.

Out of the thousands of prospects who apply each year for the major, only 40 are admitted.

“We are looking for students that are passionate about starting businesses and creating jobs, either now or in the future, “ Cook said.

This select group is supported by a dedicated team of professors, industry professionals and staff who operate as mentors in various areas of the students’ lives.

Mentors are categorized under nine titles with distinct responsibilities and levels of interaction. Investor mentors donate more than $15,000 during their students’ time in the program, while personal mentors work directly with their students and advise them on life decisions.

Program Coordinator Melissa Fritsche said last year’s graduating class received mentorship from 225 professionals. Nearly 25 percent of the mentors are alumni.

“It has changed every year. It’s never the same program … we try to use cutting-edge tools and the latest teaching methods and processes to improve the curriculum,” Cook said.

“The nature of the program is similar to entrepreneurship itself. Your business has to adapt and you are constantly adjusting your product.”

RED Labs were added to Bauer this year and are intended to provide advanced tools and guidance for students focused on designing informational technology, applications and software in a collaborative workspace.

“It’s split down the middle between time in the classroom … the other 50 percent is spent in the 22 programs designed to complement lessons learned in the classroom and to simulate real world experience,” Cook said.

According to Bauer Dean Latha Ramchand, the Wolff Center being highlighted by Entrepreneur and The Princeton Review will give Bauer more prestige and national recognition.