Cross Country

Cross country nabs top two finishers at meet

UH had its best finish of the season, second place, on Friday at the 2013 Islander Splash at Texas A&M in Corpus Christi.

Three team members finished the race in the top 10. Junior Yonas Tesfai and freshman Brian Barraza took the top two spots, with Anthony Coleman finishing ninth place. Tesfai won the 8,000 meter run with a time of 26:31.5. Barraza held on to second place at 26:36.4 for his third top-five finish.

Sophomore Selena Sierra took the lead for the women’s team, crossing the line 14th overall at 19:05.1. Seconds later, teammate Amber Hawkins finished in the top 20 with a time of 19:19.7. The women’s team finished fifth overall with 130 total points.

The two teams will travel to Tuscaloosa on Oct. 18 for the Alabama Crimson Classic.

Volleyball wins first two conference games

Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Kadi Kullerkann helped UH get off to a 2-0 start in conference play and was named to the conference honor roll for her efforts.

The Cougars defeated Rutgers in three sets Friday before taking down Connecticut in a five-set match. Against Connecticut, four UH players recorded at least 10 kills.

While freshman right side Sarita Mikals led Houston with 15 kills and nine digs, Kullerkann and junior Cortney Warren weren’t far behind, as both had 13 kills.

Against Rutgers, middle blocker Emily Howard led the Cougars with 12 kills for a .647 percentage.