Thursday, June 30, 2022

Amid government shutdown, Obamacare website shuts down

As we all know, there’s really nothing that exudes confidence in one’s principles quite like hiding behind the nearest floor-length curtain when you’re given the opportunity to show what you’ve got — especially in a time that couldn’t be more critical to the survival of those principles.

The Internet, being that sardonic best friend that’s always there to humble those living in delusion, recently claimed none other than President Barack Obama as its latest victim. This morning, healthcare.gov (also known as the motherboard for citizen access to information on Obamacare) was unresponsive and inaccessible.

The site was only down temporarily, yes. However, it’s worth noting that this happened just hours after the incumbent himself tweeted this out to his legions: “The Affordable Care Act is moving forward. You can’t shut it down.”

Soon after, access to The Affordable Care Act was shut down. Unreachable. The thing that our lovable, never-polarizing teddy bear of a President said couldn’t be shut down, shut down. It was completely inaccessible for the millions of Americans who tried accessing it this morning, realized it was down and then hastily checked their temperature and their grocery’s expiration dates to make sure they weren’t going to need a doctor anytime soon.

Oh, the irony. Everybody knows it’s best served palpable.

With all the debate circling around Obamacare, this crash couldn’t have served as a better form of fuel for its opponents. Frankly, it mirrors a concern that’s been largely fictionalized but never realistically approached.

If Obamacare is going to become a provider for millions of Americans, it’s best that it gets its start by proving to us that it’s got a significant foothold on its duties, which would roughly involve the website not crashing in the first moments of its availability.

Opinion columnist Cara Smith is a communications junior and may be reached at [email protected]

Tags: , , ,

• COVID-19