Golf

Cougars look to meet challenges of building new athletic program

Head coach Gerrod Chadwell is directing the Cougars during its first ever season. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Head coach Gerrod Chadwell is directing the Cougars during its first season. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Building a new program can be a challenging experience, but the coaching staff for the women’s golf team has learned to embrace it.

The four players — sophomore Raegan Bremer, junior Courtney Ferguson and freshmen Emily Gilbreth and Kelli Rollo — competed in their third tournament of the season at the Lady Paladin Invitational in Greenville, S.C. and will close out the fall season at the Schooner Fall Classic on Saturday in Norman, Okla.

“I think the beauty of building a new program is that we can lay the foundation; anything we do is the first. I think overall we have done a good job,” said volunteer assistant coach Mary Maggio. “I think the girls have responded well to everything … in the weight room, on the golf course and (in) the classroom.”

Maggio, who was offered to coach at more accredited Division I programs, chose to make UH her home alongside head coach Gerrod Chadwell.

“I couldn’t be more flattered that she chose us. Hopefully (her skills) will rub off on some of our collegiate girls,” Chadwell said.

Bremer, who tied for sixth place in the Cardinal Cup, said she thinks the team is making progress.

“I think we’re going to be strong going into the spring season. Personally, I think mentally I’m a little weak, (but) accuracy for me on the golf course is one of my really strong suits,” Bremer said.

With golf’s heavy background as an individual sport, competing in summer tournaments is something the team has not done actively, but it is important to a successful collegiate season.

“To be honest, our girls didn’t play a whole lot of summer tournament golf. My expectations of where we should be and where we are, (they’re) slightly different,” Chadwell said.

“We didn’t have a whole lot of time between tournaments and to practice. What we came here with is what we had. We’re going to get so much better from here because we’re going to have the time.”

Chadwell said he has noticed great attitudes and positive chemistry from his girls, despite their lack of play in the summer. He is trying to get the team out of the mindset of being comfortable and expecting things to happen.

“I think we’re doing a lot of good things; we haven’t done anything bad,” Bremer said. “I think playing good golf and having good attitudes is something that makes the team strong, especially with recruiting. It shows that we know what we’re doing.”

This fall the players have been competing as individuals and will compete as team at the start of the spring season.

“I think all our eyes are going to be on next year. I’ve been looking around and I think all the anticipation is for next year … It’s the feel I get from people in the city and people in tournaments,” Chadwell said.

“(But) I hope the (players) came here with the want to learn and the want to do better.”

sports@thedailycougar