Soccer

Soccer squad falls short in American conference contest

UH posted another loss Thursday when it fell just short 2-1 against Cincinnati at Carl Lewis Field. The loss brings their record to 1-5-3 for the season and 0-3 in the American Athletic Conference.

“I thought tonight was the first time since (Stephen F. Austin) and the California trip that we showed emotion and played our game,” said head coach Chris Pfau. “We did some very nice things tonight against a good Cincinnati team. I thought in the second half we came out looking to play and wanting to get on the ball.”

UH put up 15 shots against Cincinnati’s 18, but had a tough time getting a goal in the second half. Both teams’ offenses were balanced, but the Cougars still came up short.

At the 35-minute mark, junior forward Alexis Weaver made an unassisted goal, her first of the season and the eighth of her career. The game was tied 1-1 going into halftime.

In the second half, the Cougars showed up offensively. They posted 12 shots and four corner kicks in the half but were still not able to net another goal.

“One of the things that we are learning in this American Athletic Conference is that one bad pass or one bad mistake can cost you a goal,” said Pfau. “In all three games in conference, we gave up the first goal on our mistakes, and that is something we have to correct.”

Senior keeper Cami Koski held her ground on the goal yet again, posting 10 saves in the full 90 minutes, which brings her career save number to 274. This number is 30 saves short of the record set by former keeper Shelby Scott from 2005-08.

The loss is the Cougars’ third within their conference. The coaching staff knew that conference play was going to pose a challenge.

“What really impressed me tonight was we continued to play no matter what and we played for each other,” said Pfau. “This is an incredibly hard schedule and a tougher conference and it is very easy just to give up.”

The Cougars will definitely not give up. They will be back at Carl Lewis Field on Sunday welcoming Louisville. The game begins at 1 p.m.