The Opposition: Memphis aims for upset of unbeaten Cougars

The Cougars have forced an average of three turnovers a game and are ranked no. 1, nationally, with 2.75 turnover margin. File Photo/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars have forced an average of three turnovers a game and are ranked No. 1 nationally with a +2.75 turnover margin. File Photo/The Daily Cougar

Though Memphis is 1-3, the team has stepped up its play in the past two weeks. The Tigers defeated Arkansas State handily, then narrowly lost to American Athletic Conference championship contender the University of Central Florida 24-17. Memphis beat writer Christopher Field, who writes for The Daily Helmsman, discussed the team’s staunch run defense, its redshirt freshman quarterback and the improving squad.

The Daily Cougar: Memphis, though 1-3, recently almost defeated conference championship contender UCF and came away with a victory against Arkansas State the week prior. What has allowed the team to play better the past two weeks?

Christopher Field: They’ve been in every game all year. They were tied with Duke in the fourth quarter, they led with five minutes left against Middle Tennessee State University, they beat Arkansas State and they had every chance to beat UCF. They’ve clearly elevated their level of play of the past two weeks. The offense and defense have come together at the same time. Their offense won’t blow anybody out, but their defense has really been stingy. They’re the only defense to not allow a first-half touchdown from UCF all year.

TDC: Redshirt freshman quarterback Paxton Lynch won the job in the offseason. What skills does he have that will challenge the UH defense?

CF: Paxton glows with potential. He has a cannon for an arm and moves well inside and outside the pocket. He’s still a tad raw and struggles with those little check-down passes, but he really excels throwing the deep ball.

TDC: With inside receivers Deontay Greenberry and Daniel Spencer, UH can attack a defense deep and with the midrange passing game across the middle. Does Memphis have the depth at cornerback and safety to cover UH’s 4 and 5 receiver packages?

CF: Head coach Justin Fuente spent a lot of time talking about Greenberry in his weekly press conference. Bobby McCain, a senior cornerback, has been the Tigers’ best defensive back, but he hurt his knee and missed the second half of the UCF game. He is a game-time decision. McCain is also one of team’s emotional and vocal leaders. He has two of Memphis’ three interceptions, and it will be tough to cover Greenberry or Spencer if he can’t play. Lonnie Ballentine is going to be the safety roaming around looking for the big hit to pop the ball out of a receiver’s hands. Outside of those two guys, their best pass defense has been a good pass rush.

TDC: One thing that UH attempts to do is to establish a running game to help out its young quarterback. Memphis is holding opponents to 3.1 rushing yards per attempt. Does Memphis have the linebacker and defensive line talent to slow down UH’s running game on the road?

CF: The Tigers have really hung their hat on run defense. They refuse to let you beat them on the ground. They rank 23rd in tackles for loss as a team, and Martin Ifedi, a junior defensive lineman, is tied for second in the country in tackles for loss. Linebackers Anthony Brown and Tank Jakes do a really good job filling the gaps in the run game. Their scheme makes it really hard to account for all three of those guys on the same play.

TDC: UH is starting true freshman John O’Korn at quarterback, and keeping him upright is a big priority. Does Memphis have any pass rushers that will threaten the sanctity of the pocket for O’Korn?

CF: All year, Memphis’ best coverage has been a good pass rush. Martin Ifedi has led the charge. Heading into the UCF game, Ifedi led the NCAA in sacks per game. He wasn’t able to get a sack in that game, but he hurried a lot of throws and made it hard for (UCF quarterback) Blake Bortles to get comfortable in the pocket. Now, Ifedi is ranked third in the country with 1.4 sacks per game.

TDC: What is your prediction?

CF: You never really think Memphis is going to win, but I never would have thought they would outplay UCF. That being said, I still think the Tigers have a ways to go. Memphis: 17 Houston: 24

• Their pass rush is indeed good. The coogs will really have to work hard to protect O’Korn, but that’s going to be the key to the game. If we can establish the run, it should be a little easier for O’Korn. Being that Farrow is returning to the squad, we might just be able to do it.

• good interview. I’m glad we came out with a win even it was not a pretty win. GO COOGS beat BYU, and we fans should show up!