Activities & Organizations News

Hotel and Restaurant Management serves up career advice

The Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management’s Career Placement Services hosted a career awareness workshop at the Hilton College’s plaza room on Thursday.

The workshop, which was business-professional attire only, was focused on HRM majors.

“The main goal of our workshop was to prepare HRM students for the career fair that’s going to happen in two weeks,” Director of Placement Services & Internship Coordinator Lori Osborn said. “So we had a panel of industry professionals talking about ‘dress for success’ for both females and males in the hospitality industry, as well as interviewing etiquette. We also briefly discussed writing resumes and cover letters.”

Another purpose of the workshop was to highlight the Hilton College’s career placement services, such as career advice and internship opportunities. According to Osborn, students who missed the workshop still have access to a wealth of resources.

“Our Career Services Center and the University Career Services Center offer a lot of resources,” Osborn said. “They have tip sheets and workshops about interviewing, resume writing and how to work a career fair, for example.”

“I know some of the other colleges have their own career centers as well, which understand their related industry, enabling students to tailor their resume for what companies are looking for,” Osborn added.

Although the intent of the workshop was very clear, the goals of the students who attended may have varied.

“I attended the workshop to help prepare myself for the HRM job fair in two weeks,” HRM junior Christine Jolivette said. “I’m looking for part-time income to subsidize my income. The workshop helped with my specific concerns on just knowing interview etiquette … I can see how it could be beneficial to students who have never had a job before.”

Many HRM students agreed the workshop helped them prepare for the Oct. 24 job fair.

“Overall, it was very beneficial and informative,” Jolivette said. “When you’re talking about professionalism, sometimes your first impression must be picture-perfect, because at times, you only have one shot to make an impression on employers.”