Soccer

Cougars lose both road games

The Cougars soccer team road trip resulted in two losses.

They lost 1-0 to Rutgers on Thursday and 4-1 to Memphis on Sunday.

They now have a 1-8-3 record.

The Cougars dropped their third straight one-goal game against Rutgers, and the contest brought their conference record to 0-5. Head coach Chris Pfau said the team has improved over the season, and it was one of their better performances.

“That was a great game from start to end from all of our players,” Pfau said in a press release. “We are starting to do some very nice things and playing some good soccer. We created a few good chances and one or two good opportunities at the end to tie the game.”

Despite a great defensive showing in the match, Rutgers was able to get the solitary goal at the 62nd minute. Senior midfielder Kylie Cook led the Cougars in shots, and senior keeper Cami Koski tallied four saves in her 90 minutes on goal. The game improved Rutgers’ impressive record to 10-2-1.

The second leg of the road trip brought the Cougars to Memphis, where they would fall against an impressive offensive display. They were outshot and out-defended. The Cougars just could not get their offense together, according to Pfau.

“Last year, we proved we can beat teams, and now we are learning how to play at this level every game,” Pfau said. “The last three games we have played very well and today we just had no legs.”

The Cougars play SMU at 8 p.m. this Friday for their last regular season road game.