Food

Recipe: Breakfast served in a cup

According to the American Diabetes Association, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating a balanced breakfast will help keep blood glucose levels in check and will control excessive snacking throughout the day.

Breakfast provides the brain and body with the fuel and energy necessary to start the day. It is imperative to eat a healthy, well-balanced breakfast daily.

Education sophomore Erica Ramos explained the significance of eating breakfast and how it fuels her active lifestyle.

“Eating breakfast is very important for me because I am a very active person, and I need my energy in the morning to get me going for my busy day,” said Ramos. “For breakfast, I usually eat oatmeal with peaches or eggs with a banana and a glass of milk.”

Kinesiology health professions sophomore Caroline Cuellar described the impact that a balanced breakfast has on her day.

“Eating a healthy breakfast starts up my metabolism, and helps me balance the rest of my meals throughout the day,” said Cuellar. “For breakfast I usually even out my carbs and protein — oatmeal with a scoop of whey or soy protein or some egg whites with turkey bacon and toast.”

Omelets are a quick, delicious way to incorporate protein and vegetables into a well-balanced breakfast.

“Some of my favorite veggies to add to my egg white omelets are spinach, mushrooms and diced tomatoes. They make it more tasty and healthy at the same time,” Cuellar said.

Omelets are a healthy breakfast dish that can be made with almost any vegetable. Additionally, omelets can be prepared very quickly, even without a stovetop.

“It would be nice to have a quick easy omelet recipe to make for breakfast,” said Ramos. “I usually don’t incorporate veggies in my breakfast, but I really like mushrooms, cheese and spinach. I could easily add them in with my eggs to make a yummy omelet!”

For a warm, quick and convenient breakfast idea to accompany the cool weather this fall, check out this simple omelet-in-a-mug recipe. This omelet can be made in just minutes.

No kitchen? No problem. All that is needed is a quick omelet mixture, a microwave and your favorite microwavable mug. With a quick zap and a few minutes, voila – breakfast is served.

Fall Harvest Omelet-in-a-Mug

Makes 2 servings
Serving size: 1 mug

You will need:

• Microwavable mug
  • Microwave

Ingredients:

• ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced
  • ½ celery stalk, thinly sliced
  • 2 slices lunchmeat (ham, turkey, chicken), diced
  • ½ cup liquid fat-free egg whites
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of pepper

Instructions:

Place all ingredients in mug.

Place mug in microwave, heat for 1 minute at a time.

Periodically remove from microwave, run a fork or knife around the edge of the cup to ensure that ingredients are not sticking.

Continue to heat for 1 minute at a time and check the consistency of the omelet. (Microwave cooking time varies. Omelet will take about 3-4 minutes to cook.)

Remove from microwave when the mixture is firm.

Let cool and enjoy!