Around the American: UH, Louisville remain the only undefeated teams

UH and Louisville both remained undefeated this weekend, with the Cougars beating Memphis Tigers 25-15 and the Cardinals smacking Rutgers with a 24-10 victory. USF barely edged out Connecticut, winning by only three points with a score of 13-10, and Cincinnati had a double-digit win against Temple 38-20.

Offensive Player of the Week:

Senior quarterback Brendon Kay of Cincinnati led the Bearcats to three touchdowns in the 38-20 win against Temple. Completing 31 of 37 passes for 270 yards, Kay set a passing percentage conference record of 83.7 percent. Overall, Kay has thrown for 1,088 yards and nine touchdowns this season.

Defensive Player of the Week:

Louisville junior safety Calvin Pryor played a key role in holding Rutgers to only 12 rushing yards in Louisville’s 24-10 win. Pryor wreaked havoc on the Scarlet Knights’ quarterback, sacking him eight times and catching four interceptions. Pryor also had a game high of 14 tackles, including one tackle for loss.

Special Teams Player of the Week:

Memphis freshman kicker Jake Elliott scored all of the Tigers’ points in their 25-15 loss to the undefeated Cougars. Elliott set a conference single-game record and tied a school record with five field goals from 33, 50, 24, 42 and 38 yards. Elliot is the only kicker in the AAC to have made all field goal attempts and is currently 10 for 10.

Compiled by Kathleen Murrill