Events

Hip hop author to focus on Houston

Author Maco Faniel is trying to increase Houston’s hip-hop credibility. The hip-hop scene in Houston has always been overshadowed by Los Angeles and New York. Faniel hopes to shed some light on Houston’s role in the hip-hop world at the book talk and signing of his new book, “Hip-Hop in Houston: The Origin and the Legacy” on Thursday.

“I’m glad someone is trying to recognize Houston,” said advertising senior Annaka Anderson. “Houston deserves some recognition in the hip-hop world.”

The book focuses on Houston’s hip-hop development from early rap battles, the creation of Rap-a-Lot Records and Geto Boys’ successful album “We Can’t Be Stopped.” Faniel argues that Houston has made as much of a contribution to the hip-hop world as LA and New York.

“Jay-Z and Dr. Dre are good rappers, but remember when Mike Jones, Paul Wall and Slim Thug became famous?” history junior Mary Collins said. “Everybody had their eyes on Houston. I hope this book will do that for us again.”

UH librarian Julie Grob wrote the afterword of “Hip-Hop in Houston.”

“The afterword brings the story of Houston hip-hop forward from 1991 to 2005, recounting the rise of DJ Screw and his rap collective the Screwed Up Click and the emergence of artists like Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Chamillionaire and Slim Thug on the national scene,” Grob said.

Grob established the Houston Hip Hop collections, archives of Houston hip-hop throughout the years, here at UH.

“The afterword also talks about the founding of the Houston Hip Hop collections in Special Collections at the University of Houston Libraries, and why this unorthodox collection was such a good fit for the University of Houston,” Grob said. “I was invited to write the afterword because of my role in establishing the Houston Hip Hop collections here at the University of Houston Libraries.”

New additions to the Hip Hop collections will be available for viewing at the book talk.

The book talk will be held  from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Honors College Commons on the second floor of the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.

“Maco Faniel is passionate about telling the story of Houston hip hop, and his book talk will be an engaging event that will interest both hip hop heads and those who are curious about the music and culture,” Grob said.