Soccer

Seniors show up during final home game

The Cougars put up two more losses last week, one to UCF on Thursday and one to USF on Sunday in their home finale.

The game against league-leading No. 15 UCF resulted in a disappointing 4-0 loss for UH. UCF put on a good offensive showing, scoring two goals in each half. UH was outshot 15-6 in the game. Senior keeper Sydney George once again spent all 90 minutes in goal and tallied six saves despite allowing the four goals.

The Cougars brushed off the game that pushed their record to 1-10-3 and looked forward to Sunday and their home finale, before which all 11 seniors on the squad were honored in a pregame ceremony.

Head coach Chris Pfau said he is proud of the seniors on the squad and is impressed with all of their performances throughout the season.

“They all have done a tremendous job in representing the University and being great teammates to the underclassmen,” Pfau said.  “I want to thank each one of them for how hard they have worked, what they have done with this program and how much of a joy it is each day to be around them.”

The game gave the players, fans and coaches a chance to reflect on their progress throughout the several years that they have been on the squad.

“I’ve learned a lot as an athlete,” said senior Cami Koski. “What it takes to be an athlete, learning time management, working hard, struggling going to practice and then going to class smelling terrible — it’s all been a fun experience.”

For fans of offensive soccer, the game against USF at Carl Lewis Field on Sunday was no disappointment.  The final score reflected that, with the Cougars’ eventful 6-3 loss.

Seniors Jasmine Martinez, Natalie Juncos, and Alexis Weaver all scored on separate occasions.

UH took an early lead with the goal from Juncos, which was her first of the season and even more momentous with it being the team’s final home game. The goal from Martinez occurred several minutes later, and the Cougars were leading 2-1 going into halftime.

The goal from Weaver pushed the Cougars to a strong 3-1 lead, but USF scored three goals in two minutes and two more in the final minutes of the game to push the score to a surprising 6-3.

UH will travel to participate in the American Athletic Conference Championship, where they will face No. 7 seed Memphis at 6 p.m. on Friday in Louisville.