Keenum gets second chance at quarterback

The 2012 NFL draft came and went — Case Keenum didn’t hear his name called. But the former UH quarterback has parlayed an opportunity with the Houston Texans into a starting job.

The Texans announced Monday that Keenum will be the team’s starting quarterback Sunday night against the Indianapolis Colts on NBC’s Sunday Night Football.

Keenum, 25, made his professional debut against Kansas City on Oct. 20. The Texans lost 17-16, but Keenum gave the team, which had lost four consecutive games previously, a much-needed spark.

“I thought he did some really good things. I thought we played some clean football, and we’re going to have to do that here down the road to improve,” said head coach Gary Kubiak.

Keenum became well known by football fans in the Bayou City after setting NCAA records at UH and leading the University to arguably its best season ever in 2011.

“I try to do the right thing on and off the field. I try to be the same person all of the time — be very consistent,” Keenum said. “I try to be what the team needs me to be, whatever that is. I want to fill that role and do whatever I can to make this team the best possible team it can be.”

Kubiak said Keenum is not the Texans’ long-term starter, and the team will continue to evaluate each of its quarterbacks.

“There’s no decisions made for the season,” Kubiak said. “We’ll keep going. It’s a decision I made for this week.”