Alumni

UH produces CEOs, makes global list

On a list of universities ranked based on the number of alumni on the Fortune Global 500 list, UH landed at No. 98 and was one of only three Texas schools to make the list.

The Times Higher Education Alma Mater Index: Global Executives 2013 chose 100 schools that have produced the most CEOs, according to the Houston Business Journal. UH has two alumni on the Fortune 500: Bruce Broussard and Stephan Chazen.

Broussard, who is the CEO for Humana Inc., received his MBA from UH. His for-profit managed health care company serves more than 11.1 million customers. Chazen received his Masters in Finance at the C.T. Bauer College of Business. He is the CEO for Occidental Petroleum Corporation, a California-based oil and gas producer.

According to the report, which is available online at timeshighereducation.co.uk, the two companies together have a revenue of $63.4 billion. Texas A&M University ranked No. 34 and Southern Methodist University landed in the No. 22 spot.

UH space architects to contribute to spaceport

The world’s only master’s program in space architecture resides at UH, which functions with the Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture. Now, UH space architects will be contributing to Houston’s first spaceport, which was proposed to be at Ellington Airport.

The collaborative effort originated when UH alumnus Sam Ximenes and his company XArc were tasked to work on spaceport research and design activities, according to a UH press release, and he said he immediately thought to turn to SICSA for help.

“Being a space architect, I went to the place where space architecture was born – the University of Houston,” Ximenes said in the press release.

Ximenes then met current student Nejc Trost, who impressed him.

“Right out of the gate, Nejc had all the expertise we needed, knew everything we needed him to know from the ground up with no additional training necessary,” Ximenes said in the release.

The spaceport renderings were released last September and, according to Ximenes in the press release, Houston will definitely be home to the spaceport, even if the timeline isn’t set in stone.

“Houston will soon be the center of gravity for the commercial space industry,” Ximenes said in the release, “and this spaceport will allow the city of Houston to drive an economic sphere of influence beyond the earth.”