Fashion

Cougars get crafty with costumes

With scares and plenty of candy, students plan to wear a variety of fun costumes on campus and to local events for Halloween.

The most popular costumes reflect the recent biggest trends and range from the minions in “Despicable Me” to characters from “The Great Gatsby” and the popular singer and actress, Miley Cyrus. However, students are being a little more creative this year.

“My costume is going to be an old lady thug,” said computer engineering technology senior Shirdora Thompson. “My small group in Chi Alpha (Christian Fellowship) has this thing where we always talk in old lady voices, so we’re going to dress up as old ladies.”

Thompson’s group will be making their own costumes with old floral dresses, markers and holsters to carry Bibles. Chi Alpha will host their Halloween event on Friday.

Many students are looking forward to wearing their costumes on campus this Halloween.

For mathematics senior Ruben Ramirez, do-it-yourself costumes spark imagination and creativity.

“I’m going as a weird pirate,” Ramirez said. “I’ll be wearing army pants, bandanas, different kind of sashes and carrying a blunderbuss.”

Not only will students be getting into the holiday spirit with their costumes, they will also be participating in their own version of trick-or-treat on campus.

“I’m going to go to class and give candy around to all my friends,” Ramirez said.

For busy students who want to participate in Halloween this year, buying a costume was a great alternative for them. Even though their schedules seem to get in the way of fun, dressing up is still an option to participate in the holiday.

“I was going to make my costume, but I just went ahead and bought it,” said American Sign Language and health senior Jessica McGaskey. “I originally wanted to be a little tiger or leopard and just make a tutu, but because of work, school and studying, I just decided to buy a French maid costume.”

The Halloween spirit will be alive this year on campus. Students should look forward to seeing many different characters and participating in the fun festivities hosted by organizations and students on Thursday.