Events

Cougars get chills from thrills

Students were dressed in bloody costumes, had their faces painted and wore spooky contacts to scare Cougars in the Haunted Penthouse at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. | Aisha Bouderdaben/The Daily Cougar

Students trembled in anxiety as the elevator doors opened to the Haunted Penthouse. Even the entrance to the pitch-black room proved to be intimidating, as students were greeted with a maniacal “Hello!” from a startlingly creepy clown.

In the spirit of Halloween, the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center hosted its fifth annual Haunted Penthouse on Tuesday and Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m. The haunted house was spread throughout the third floor of the Recreation Center and featured many spine-tingling chillers, such as mental patients, a spooky inflatable obstacle course and portraits that came to life.

“I was definitely scared to go in. The anticipation scared me the most,” said kinesiology sophomore Naomi Baldridge. “I was impressed with how real everything looked. The decorations and the actors were great. One girl was possessed, and she looked pretty convincing,” Baldridge said.

A few students, such as communications sophomore Amanda Boyd, acted as valiant heroes to guide their friends through the house.

“I ended up in the front because I don’t get scared easily. As we walked down a hallway, I saw spooky figures through the wall,” Boyd said. “In the middle of the room was a box. I’m pretty sure everyone overlooked it, but as soon as I walked past it, someone jumped out of it and everyone screamed, including me. I couldn’t believe they actually got me.”

Some students were spooked before they even walked into the line. All students entering the haunted house had to sign a release form and were required to wear close-toed shoes.

“I asked one of the staff members why we had to sign the form. She told me that there are many frightening actors around every corner and students usually end up running,” said public relations senior Shawnice Jackson. “This year, the staff wanted to make sure that students realized they have to be safe while in the penthouse.”

The ending of the haunted house proved to be the scariest for most students, including Jackson and her friends.

“At the end, a guy with a chainsaw chased everyone out to the exit. The lights were on, so I thought the haunted house was over. There was a man in a ski mask handing out candy near the stairs,” Jackson said. “As soon as I accepted the candy, I heard the chainsaw revving again and the chainsaw guy jumped out of nowhere. He had returned for his one last scare, but at least I got my candy.”