Food

What to do with leftover Halloween candy

halloween-candy

Whether you passed out candy, have younger siblings who trick-or-treated or caught the post-Halloween candy sales, you may find yourself with an abundance of sweet and tempting treats.

Fun-sized Halloween candy can be a delicious occasional treat. However, keeping the candy around and snacking on it daily can compromise healthy eating habits and eventually make you pack on the pounds. Leftover Halloween candy can be saved for later festivities, given to friends or used to create goodies.

Snack on it. To avoid overeating, separate candy into small bags for snacking. This will eliminate the temptation to grab a handful without monitoring how much you are consuming. Use the snack-sized portions in a milkshake or as a cake topping.

Store it. For later use, place candy in large freezer bags and save for the holidays. Pull them out and use them at dessert tables during Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s parties.

Gift it. Use stored candy to compliment holiday gift baskets or birthday gifts. No matter the present, candy always makes it sweeter.

Assemble the Sweet Tooth Team. Invite a few friends over for an ice cream party. Sort your candy and place in cups or bowls. Larger candy may be cut or chopped into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Buy a gallon of vanilla ice cream and call a few friends over. Friends can assemble their own desserts, a la Menchie’s or Orange Leaf self-serve assembly style. This is a quick way to get rid of candy fast.

Take it to work. Place candy in a small treasure chest and leave it in the employee lounge or lunchroom. For extra kudos, tape a small note to the chest to let everyone know that it was a token of your generosity.