Opinion Web Exclusive

Twerk Couture brand makes breaks into fashion, ignores pleas for sanity

If you live in today’s world, I’m sure you are familiar with the term “twerking.”

If you have somehow managed to not hear about this, Urban Dictionary defines twerking as “the act of moving (or) shaking one’s buns, bottom, buttocks (or) bum-bum in a circular, up-and-down and side-to-side motion.” Lovely.

As if it wasn’t disturbing enough that twerking has become a recent movement, it has now become a brand. Introducing Twerk Couture: a new brand that just wants to keep it, in their own words, “young, fly and flashy.”

Started by a woman named Kip Force, Twerk Couture is a line of clothing that features shirts, sweaters and boy shorts that feature such lines as “Twerk Something,” “Can You Twerk in Space?” “Twerkers Save Lives,” “Queen of Twerk” and “No! Don’t Stop Twerking!”

Many Cougars are confused and disturbed by this clothing line; however, there are some students who are interested in it.

Chemical engineering sophomore Melissa Ng is one of the students that could see potential within this brand.

“I personally prefer clothing with more words than images, because I feel that words are stronger and catch more attention,” Ng said. “It’d be different and not my usual line of clothing, but it wouldn’t hurt to wear it. “

So that means that the silhouette image of a girl sliding down a pole and another girl crouched forward on her hands and knees is not necessary. Good to know.

Biology junior Jessica Francois, on the other hand, could not see this line of clothing in her future wardrobe.

“I’m speechless. It’s hilarious, but at the same time so inappropriate,” she said. “I would never wear something like this, and I can’t take this seriously.”

Though the opinions on this line did vary, the opinion on whether it would sell is unanimous.

“This is definitely sending the wrong message, but I know that there are going to be people who are going to buy it,” said biology senior Tacoya Le.

Young adults are known for wearing and saying things that sometimes seem questionable, so I would not be surprised to see some students wearing this brand in months to come.

While looking at a sweater that says “Twerk Team Manager,” business management junior Shaun Whitt said he wouldn’t mind owning something from Twerk Couture as long as he wouldn’t have to pay for it himself. While this line seems to be geared more toward women, a man could definitely wear “Twerk Team Manager.” 

As a send-off, Whitt was sure to encourage twerkers to do their thing.

“To all the twerkers out there, feel free to twerk on!” he said.

Unfortunately, I believe that twerkers will continue to twerk on. May our eyes be forever scarred with what is to come from Twerk Couture.

Opinion columnist Kelly Schafler is a print journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected]