Cougars go cold in second half, lose second straight game

In its two losses, UH had an opportunity to win the game on the final possession. Against 19-ranked Louisville, the same situation formulated, as it failed to score late and fell 20-13 at Papa Johns Cardinals Stadium, losing its grip on a possible conference bid.

After forcing a Cardinal punt, the Cougars got the the ball back with 2:36 remaining in the fourth quarter and had an opportunity to tie or take the lead, but the Cougars went backwards on three consecutive plays consisting of a holding penalty and two sacks that resulted in a turnover on downs, allowing the Cardinals to run out the clock.

The offense struggled all evening: freshman quarterback John O’ Korn threw for a season-low 121 yards as a starter and completed less than 50 percent of his passes (16-35), and sophomore running back Ryan Jackson led the Cougars in rushing with only 46 yards on 13 carries. The Cougars racked up only 200 yards on offense.

Louisville’s Dominique Brown ran for 137 yards and two touchdowns, including the one that put his team ahead 17-13 in the third quarter.

Louisville’s Heisman candidate Teddy Bridgewater, who went 19-29 for 203 yards, was held in check for most of the game, but converted third-downs that kept the Cougars on the sideline for most of the second half. to lose their momentum

After falling down 10-0 after the first quarter, the Cougars got their act together in the second quarter, as they scored 13 unanswered points, catapulted by 4-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Kenneth Farrow and sophomore kicker Kyle Bullard’s field goals from 46 and 22 yards out. But the Cougars couldn’t corral any type of spark in the second half whatsoever.

Sophomore receiver Deontay Greenberry played sparingly throughout the game after suffering  a head injury early in the first quarter, and sophomore safety Adrian McDonald was ejected in the third quarter after a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty following the Cardinals touchdown that put them up 17-13.