Movies

Cougars hungry for Hunger Games

Fans of the film franchise “The Hunger Games” fell in love with the wit, skill and headstrong characteristics of Katniss Everdeen in the latest box office hit since the “Harry Potter” series and “The Twilight Saga.”

With the release of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” on Nov. 22, several Houston theaters are hosting events to accommodate the anticipation of its fans.

“The Hunger Games” was the third-highest grossing 2012 film in the U.S., reaching $407 million. The film won multiple awards, including a Grammy Award for Best Song Written for Visual Media, a People’s Choice Award for Favorite Movie Franchise and an MTV Movie Award for Best Fight.

Check out the trailer for the movie.

According to the box office, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” has a projected opening week income of $168 million.

Fans wear merchandise to express their love for the film, and some fans dress up like the characters.

For the past few weeks, there have been events leading up to the premiere of the movie, including “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” Victory Tour at the Bayou Music Center on Nov. 6 and a “Hunger Games” premiere party at the Kingwood Branch Library on Thursday. Houston radio station KRBE gave away free tickets to an early screening on Nov. 11.

Midnight screenings for “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” at Houston theaters include Edwards Houston Marq*E, AMC Studio 30, Cinemark Tinseltown and Edwards Greenway Grand Palace.

Double features of “The Hunger Games” and “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” will be shown Thursday at many Houston theaters for those who want to catch up with this popular film trilogy.

“The Hunger Games” Double Features

Cinemark Tinseltown USA & IMAX | 5:20 p.m. on Nov. 21
Edwards Houston Marq*E Stadium 23 & IMAX | 5:15 p.m. on Nov. 21
AMC Studio 30 | 5 p.m. on Nov. 21
Edwards Greenway Grand Palace Stadium 24 & RPX | 5:15 p.m. on Nov. 21