Food

Recipe: Paleo apple crumble pie for Thanksgiving

Apple Pie Crumble 4

Paleo apple crumble pie | Wikimedia Commons

The holidays are quickly approaching, so what will you contribute to the holiday spread? When deciding on what to bring, it is important to consider all of your potential guests and any special accommodations they would need.

If you’re accommodating a Paleolithic eater — that is, someone who excludes cereal grains, legumes, dairy, refined sugar, potatoes, processed foods, salt and refined vegetable oils — this paleo apple crumble pie is a savory dessert that accommodates and appeals to many people. It is grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free. This dessert can also appeal to a sweet tooth with a short time in the microwave, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

The Paleo Apple Crumble Pie requires only six ingredients and takes about 40 minutes to make. Consider bringing this delicious dish to your next holiday gathering.

Paleo Apple Crumble Pie

Prep time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes

Makes 8-10 servings

You will need:

• Food processor or blender
  • Fruit/vegetable peeler
  • Medium-sized pan
  • Pie plate
  • Oven

Ingredients for crust and topping:

• 1 cup almond flax/flour
  • 1 ½ cups pecans
  • 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
  • 1 tablespoons coconut oil
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 teaspoons cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoons apple pie spice (optional)

Ingredients for apple filling:

• 2 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
  • 6 large apples, peeled, cored, cubed
  • Cinnamon and honey to taste

Instructions:

1. Place pecans in a food processor and process until there are small chunks of pecans left. You do not want a creamy substance here.
  2. Add almond flax/flour, cinnamon and (optional) apple pie spice to the pecan pieces in the food processor. Process until mixed in evenly.
  3. Add honey and coconut oil to the mixture. Process until evenly distributed.
  4. Add shredded coconut and processed until all ingredients are evenly combined. Your mixture should be moist and chunky. This will be your pie’s crunchy crust and topping.
  5. Press about ¾ of the mixture into a pie plate. Bake at 325 F for 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
  6. While crust is baking, sauté apple cubes in coconut oil until softened, but still crispy — about 8 minutes.
  7. Remove apples from coconut oil in pan with a strainer or a slotted spoon, place in a large bowl and add honey and cinnamon to taste. Let the mixture sit while you wait for the crust to bake.
  8. Remove pie crust from the oven and, again, remove apples from any excess coconut oil and evenly spread on pie crust. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ of pie crust and topping atop the apples.
  9. Bake at 325 F for 10 minutes. Remove and enjoy hot or cold, plain or accompanied with ice cream.