Events

Students share culture through dance

Crowds gathered at the Cullen Performance Hall Wednesday night as dancers prepared to perform for CEO’s fourth annual International Explosion talent competition.

The night consisted of a variety of eleven cultural dance groups, such as the Argentine Tango Club, Houston Jannat, Nishani Bhangra and the Vietnamese, Nigerian and Nepalese student associations, as well as slam poetry, lion dancing and Dhun A Cappella’s singing performance.

“This event does not only showcase the diversity of our campus, but it also helps bring our community closer together by collaborating with the registered student organizations.” said CEO Director Erica Tat.

“It is one of our signature events for the fall semester and we truly appreciate the participation from our wonderful student organizations.”

In locations all across campus, each organization met up and invested long hours rehearsing in hopes of winning a cash prize for the talent competition. Students struggled to get every move down right.

“A lot of hard work, sweat and unexpected injuries came from rehearsals, but we all pulled through and it was all worth it,” said kinesiology junior Lily Le.

“There were a lot of good performances at International Explosion. You could tell how much work everyone had put into the show.”

VSA’s performance skit seemed to be a crowd favorite.

“My favorite has to be VSA’s sweet storyline and the Roarin’ Raas that were perfectly on point with their dance.” Le said.

Mechanical engineering sophomore Louis Le agreed.

“The emcees were great and I really want to applaud every organization that performed this year. It took a lot of courage and preparation and it showed on the stage.”

Mathematics junior and historian for the Wushu Kung-Fu Club, Meghan Meriano, has participated in past International Explosion events.

“I am pleased to say the performance was an outstanding and expansive look into what our club, and in a larger scale, Wushu is all about. We welcome everyone and make a great effort to teach our beginners, all while letting the more experienced members teach and grow as well.”

Electrical engineering freshman Sahil Ajmer said his favorite part was the Raas dance team.

“I’ve always liked them ever since I’ve heard of them. They’re amazing. They’re so talented and it’s something in my culture that, although [not as advanced], I do on my own.”

At the end of the night, the teams celebrated and audience members congratulated their friends for their performances. The Nishani dance team won first place with a $500 prize, Roarin’ Raas came in second for $300, and VSA won $175 in third.

“International Explosion really lets the different groups share with the general populous what their culture is like and let the audience partake in the fun” Meriano said.