Administration

Committee recommends increase in student fees in annual report

The Student Fees Advisory Committee made their budget recommendations to President Renu Khator and Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services Richard Walker on Monday. The recommendations come after weeks of deliberation and presentations from 34 fee-funded units. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

SFACFY15 2x4 200213The Student Fees Advisory Committee released its recommendations as to how (student fees) funds should be allocated.

Among the fund distribution to organizations such as Athletics and the Student Government Association was the additional recommendation that the student service fee be increased by $10.

The Student Service Fee currently stand at $250 per student enrolled in six credit hours or more and $234 per student enrolled in five or fewer hours. Though SFAC expressed an understanding that “this fee increase furthers the financial burden placed on students,” committee members wrote that it was “necessary to sustain and improve the level of programming and resources available on campus.”

The recommendation was made in part due to the University’s increasing shift to a more residential campus, requiring a greater focus on student organizations.

“Given the positively correlated relationship between student engagement and retention and graduation rates,” the report said, “we believe that the decisions of this committee support the University’s continued focus on student success.”

SFAC approved many requested budgets and applauded some organizations for the improvements made in the past year and for the services they provide to students. It made further recommendations as to how several student organizations could improve to further justify receiving money through student fees.

The recommendations must be taken to Vice Chancellor and President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services Richard Walker, President and Chancellor Renu Khator and the Board of Regents for further approval.

The Daily Cougar is a fee-funded organization and is included in the report.

• ok here is the second increase the other one was the rec, I know is $10and the other one I don’t remember how much, but are they considering that the international students have to pay a lot more almost twice the residents, this fees make the difference on your personal budget when you are an international student and you are by yourself, so they should consider that.