Standouts: Defense shines in shutout victory

UH pitched a shutout, 34-0, against SMU in its last home game of the season on Saturday. Here is a list of standouts who contributed to the Cougars’ eighth win of the season:

B.J. Singleton: In addition to his three field goal blocks that are tied for second in the country, freshman defensive tackle B.J. Singleton was a force up front Saturday, penetrating through the offensive line on his way to a game-high two sacks.

Eric Eiland: Defensive end Eric Eiland nearly scored the first touchdown of his career, but was tackled just shy at the 1-yard line after scooping up a fumble and returning it 62 yards. He finished the day with six total tackles that included a sack.

Zachary McMillian: Senior cornerback Zachary McMillian topped the icing on the cake for the defense, intercepting his second pass of the contest in his final home game to accumulate 40 forced turnovers for a defense that pitched its first conference shutout since 1989.

Adrian McDonald: Sophomore safety Adrian McDonald registered a career-high 13 total tackles and nabbed his fifth interception of the season to lead the team. The former high-school quarterback has always had a knack for the ball when it gets in his hands.

Ryan Jackson: Sophomore running back Ryan Jackson broke loose, rushing for a season-high 37-yard touchdown that put the exclamation point on team’s shutout win, his first time crossing the goal line in nearly a month. Jackson’s speed has produced a threat for defenses whether he is racing down the sideline on a toss or catching the ball out of the backfield.