Cougars to take on SEC opponent in BBVA Compass Bowl

After a three-win improvement this season, the Cougars (8-4, 5-3) have selected their postseason location. UH accepted a bid to play in the BBVA Compass Bowl against an SEC opponent, the University announced on Sunday.

The Cougars will take the field for their 22nd bowl appearance on Jan. 4 at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ala. The BBVA Compass Bowl will kick off at at noon Central Standard Time and be carried nationally on ESPN and ESPN Radio.

“We are excited to accept an invitation to the BBVA Compass Bowl and look forward to making the trip to Birmingham,” said Houston head coach Tony Levine in a statement. “Knowing that we will be facing a formidable opponent from the SEC is a great challenge and one that our program is looking forward to. The setting will provide a great atmosphere for our student athletes and our fans.”

UH’s bowl appearance will be its eighth postseason appearance in the last 11 seasons. The last time UH played in a bowl — Levine’s first game as head coach — it defeated Penn State, 30-14, in the 2012 TicketCity Bowl on Jan. 2, 2012. The Cougars have compiled a 9-11-1 record in their 22 bowl appearances.

The BBVA Compass Bowl carries a $1.9 million total purse. College football analyst Phil Steele projects the Cougars to face Vanderbilt.

“It will be a great challenge to face off against a team from the SEC, and I look forward to our passionate fan base making an impact in the support of our student athletes and our program,” said Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades.