Men's Basketball

Cougars’ overtime rally falls short

Forty minutes wasn’t enough time to decide a winner.

After 12 ties in regulation between the University of Houston and Louisiana-Lafayette, a close contest continued into overtime. Fueled by 31 points from Louisiana guard Elfrid Payton, the Ragin’ Cajuns (7-3) defeated the Cougars (7-5) 79-76 on Saturday at the Cajundome.

The Cougars have struggled away from Hofheinz Pavilion with a 1-4 record during road or neutral contests.

UH got off to a hot offensive start, shooting 72 percent from the field and hitting all three of its 3-pointers, leading to an eight-point halftime advantage, but it wasn’t enough. Early in the second half, the Ragin’ Cajuns evened the score at 45 after back-to-back 3-pointers.

The two teams traded leads until the end of regulation. Payton hit one of two free throws with three seconds remaining to tie the game at 69 and force overtime.

Louisiana took control early in overtime with a 7-0 run to begin the period. The Cougars responded to cut the lead to one on junior forward TaShawn Thomas’ dunk with 13 seconds remaining. After an intentional foul, Payton’s two made free throws gave Louisiana its eventual margin of victory. A 3-point attempt by sophomore guard Jherrod Stiggers fell short at the buzzer.

Thomas’ 27 points, seven blocks and six rebounds led the Cougars in each category. Redshirt freshman forward Danrad Knowes finished with 16 points.

• No mention that the reason the game was tied with 3 seconds to go!!! Stupid unforced turnover when all the player had to do is hold the ball. This mistake is on the coach, in fact the way this team underachieves is on the coach. UH is going to be one of the worse teams in the AAC this and future seasons and this is really really unacceptable. Until there is a coaching change expect more of the same performances.

• It is going to be so painful to have to endure this season before we can see Dickey let go. BUT, the expectation of a new coach next year gives me something to look forward to. There is something seriously wrong with the current administration if a change does not happen.

• If the current coach stays through the season the team most likely will loose House, Knowles to transfer. I would not blame them at all, why stay in a program that brings you down and does not appear to be care about winning. .

• The only thing is that they would have to sit out a year. I don’t believe players can transfer at will and begin play right away due to a bad coach. I don’t know if they would want to delay and interrupt their play if they have aspirations of going pro.