Staff Editorial

50 years later, King’s dream lives on

Almost half a century ago, the country trembled with the shouts of civil rights activists who fought for the right to realize their dream: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

America now stands in the symbolic shadow of an emphatic leader whose legacy lives on and was marked by this Monday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day. His memory echoes in the collective consciousness of this nation and in the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which now celebrates its 50th anniversary.

King was one voice among many who paved the way for later generations.  Their message resonated not only with the African-American community, but with all minorities whose rights were unconstitutionally stripped away.

Because King and other civil rights activists marched on Washington, organized themselves  and forced people to take a moral inventory of themselves, Americans have the privilege of touting exceptionalism.

Though his vision can be seen here at the University in our diverse student population, a long and winding road is still ahead. Until people of all races, ethnicities, religions, cultures, sexual orientations, and gender identities can be seated at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood, commemorating this holiday will not live up to his legacy

King’s speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial still rings true.

“My country, ‘tis of thee, sweet land of liberty.”