Swimming & Diving

Diving coach leaves for overseas job

Head diving coach Jane Figueiredo has accepted the position of head coach of the British Diving High Performance Center in London, ending her 24-year tenure at UH. Former UH diver and Olympian Yulia Pakhalina has been named the interim diving coach for the remainder of the 2014 season.

“I want to thank the University of Houston for all of the opportunities I have been given throughout my career with them,” Figueiredo said. “I have loved my time with the University and want to wish them the best for the future.”

Pakhalina brings an impressive track record to the position of interim head diving coach. She won an Olympic gold medal with Figueiredo as her coach in the 3-meter synchronized diving event during the 2000 Sydney Games. At the 2004 Athens Games, Pakhalina claimed a silver medal in the 3-meter synchronized diving and a bronze in the 3-meter individual springboard. Pakhalina also captured two silver medals during the 2008 Olympics.

UH runs strong at invitational

The track and field program finished with 13 first-place finishes and eight personal-best performances to wrap up the Leonard Hilton Memorial Invitational on Friday in Yeoman Fieldhouse.

Senior Karley King finished on top once again in the pole vault with a mark of 4.10 meters (13’-5.25”), tying the third-best performance in school history originally set by King. She cleared the height on the first attempt and moved up to attempt 4.21 meters (13’-9.75”) to beat the school record.

Freshman Damon Thompson set a personal record of 18.08 meters (59’-4”) in the men’s weight throw to win the competition. He beat his previous record by more than five feet.